Do's and don'ts for the European Organizer of a National Platforms Stakeholder Meeting
From the experience of the National Platforms Task Force, a successful national stakeholder meeting is characterized by the following do’s and don’ts for the European organizer of a National Platforms stakeholder meeting:
- The initial contact must be made with government officials with a clear decision mandate to prepare the stakeholder meeting.
- There must be a very clear value proposition to make sure that expectations are clear before the meeting.
- Make sure that both Ministries of Education as well as Ministries of Financial Affairs are involved in the meeting.
- Work with the national hosts to invite a broad range of public and private stakeholders with decision mandates.
- Make sure to present very concrete experiences.
- Make sure to present both successes and failures.
- Avoid to present a “one size fits all” model for a National Platform, but respect the national agendas.
- Make sure to facilitate ample time for discussions – preferably in the national language.
- Try to make action-based decisions on next steps with a clear understanding of who is responsible (preferably a Ministry).
- Follow-up and take care to create contacts between countries who are working to create National STEM Platforms.